Saturday, July 27, 2013

Got Bacon?

When in Michigan we stopped at Tony's I-75 restaurant which is famous for its 1 pound BLT's. You heard that right, a full pound of bacon. It's so unbelievable that Mythbusters visited the place to check it out and proclaimed it "confirmed".  The place has also been on Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives and the Travel channel.  A picture speaks louder than words...

A full pound of bacon on homemade Italian bread
with a bit of lettuce and tomato
The BLT pictured above was being delivered by our server to another table. We were looking for something a bit smaller, so I asked our friendly server about the egg sandwich.  "Is it smaller than the BLT?" I asked, and she assured me that it was.  You can judge for yourself: 

The Bacon and Egg sandwich was fantastic! 
OK, maybe a bit less than a pound of bacon on this one. It tasted great, but I could only eat about half of it.  

Denise thought she was safe ordering an omelet. A modest 6-egg affair filled with cheese and (you guessed it) tons of bacon. I'm not sure what that look on her face signifies - I guess a combination of amusement and embarrassment.  

Size Matters!!
We managed to escape without having a coronary and needless to say we didn't have to eat for about 24 hours. 

Bottom line: if you are ever in Michigan on I-75 near Birch Run (just north of Flint) stop in for a light bite. After your BLT you might want to try their banana split which is made with a half gallon of ice cream.

1 comment: