Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wet Portland

We spend a few days outside of Portland. It's a great city but unfortunately it rained most of the time, following the script for this part of the country. We did get a nice bike ride in one day before the rain, and went into the city for a fun evening. 

The place we stayed was by far the nicest State Park we've ever been in. Huge spots, biking and hiking trails and great amenities.  

Our site at Stub Stewart State Park
40 minutes from Portland
We went into the city for a nice dinner one evening - and because it was my birthday we capped it off with a dessert at Voodoo Doughnut. This place is a favorite with the locals in Portland and deservedly so. We had to wait in line at 10 pm on a Sunday night, but it was worth the wait.

I didn't have my camera with me so I borrowed this pic from the web.

"Old Dirty Bastard" from Voodoo Doughnuts 
I admit that while I enjoyed every bite of this decadent monster, I would probably take it down a notch next time. Denise had the Portland cream which she enjoyed immensely. When in Portland, stop by and try this place out.

We also enjoyed going to a few Oregon wineries and sampling several Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs. Our favorite was Lemelson, a place we had been to in 2006. The motorhome is now officially at capacity, and we might need to buy a trailer to haul the stuff we plan to buy in Sonoma and Napa unless we do some serious drinking between now and then. 

Oregon Pinot Noir Vineyards

No comments:

Post a Comment